Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup

I made this up as a I went along this morning.  It turned out REALLY well, so I'd better get it written down while it's still fresh in my mind!  My hubby said he wished it was a little thicker, so next time I'll thicken it with a little cornstarch, but on the whole it was great.

2 c. cooked ham, cubed
3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream (evaporated milk would work well, too - I just had the cream on hand)

Place all but the cheese and cream in a three-quart slow cooker.  Add water just to cover.  Cook on low 6 - 8 hours.  Using a potato masher, mash the soup to thicken slightly (don't do too much or your ham chunks will completely disintegrate).  Stir in cheese and cream.  Let cook 15 more minutes and serve.

We ate this with rolls and a green salad.  Very simple, very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment