Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Recipe Review - Cucumber Fennel Salad



I made this to go with our dinner tonight (we were supposed to have the Cornish game hens, but I forgot to thaw them, so we had lemon pepper chicken instead).  I planted fennel in the garden for the first time, and I've never even really had it before, so I was on the lookout for a recipe and this sounded good.  Kind of a take-off on the cucumber salad I make every summer, which has vinegar and celery seed (and no fennel) instead of the lemon and dill that this recipe has.

It was really good!  I think I'll use a little more lemon next time, but it had a very light and fresh flavor.  The dill was a nice touch.  My onion was a little too powerful, so I avoided most of that (next time I'll try chives or scallions instead), but on the whole I thought it was good and will definitely make it again. 

It was a great recipe for a make ahead meal, because sitting all day gave the flavors extra time to meld.  I give it four stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment