Monday, June 27, 2011

CSA adventures, week 2

This week's CSA box had:

Asparagus
Bok choy
Cabbage
Green onion
Beets
Cherries
Strawberries

Haven't used the asparagus yet.  I keep thinking I should buy more and pickle it, but I haven't followed through.  I'd love to start experimenting with pickling - there is such a fabulous range of flavors with different pickled vegetables.  I just haven't had the time or the produce!

The bok choy and cabbage went into a delicious stir fry side dish tonight, along with an organic zucchini from the grocery store, some garlic scapes from my garden, a bit of fresh ginger, and some salt and pepper.  We had that along with our bulgogi and sesame rice.  One of my favorite meals, and hubby even said the vegetables were good - a rare compliment for a veggie side!

I've been using the green onions here and there.  Some went in the bulgogi, some have gone in a salad.  Usually at this time of year I'm putting chives in everything while I wait for the green onions in my garden to grow enough to use (why buy produce when I can improvise with something from the yard, right?), so it's nice to have a change! 

I haven't used the beets yet - I only got a couple once my friend and I split the bunch, so I need to pull some from my garden and then I'm planning to roast them.  Love roasted beets! 

We're eating the cherries.  LOVE that it's cherry season again!

My daughter ate the strawberries with her breakfast over the last few days.  She can't get enough!

We find out on Thursday what our box will have on Friday.  Can't wait to see what's on tap for next week!  I'll try to start taking some pictures, too - everything has been picked within two days, and they clean it up nicely for us, so it's all bright, crisp and GORGEOUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment