Thursday, September 30, 2010

Black Bean Lasagna

We're trying something new in our house - meatless meals once a week.  This is mainly for budget reasons, but we also eat (in my opinion) far more meat than necessary.  This was good, but my husband told me I'm only allowed to make it again if I promise to never, ever refer to it as lasagna.  In his mind, lasagna is Italian, and this is definitely not Italian!  I think I'm supposed to call it "Layered Mexican Casserole".

I actually made this with no-boil noodles, because that's what I had in the pantry, but it came out a little dry so next time I'll definitely use regular noodles And the leftovers were even better than the initial dish, after the flavors had had a chance to meld.

Serves 4

6 lasagna noodles
1 15-ounce can black beans
1 T. canola or olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
2 t. chili powder
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1 cup cottage cheese
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream, plus extra for serving
salsa

Boil the noodles according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet, saute the onions, peppers, and garlic in the oil until the onions are soft.  Add the beans, lightly mashing them with a fork.  Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings.

In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, and 1/4 cup sour cream. 

Lay two noodles in the bottom of a greased 8x8 casserole dish.  Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the noodles, then spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over that.  Repeat layers again, and then a third time, stopping at the bean mixture.  Save the rest of the cheese mixture for after baking.  If baking later, cover and refrigerate or freeze at this point. 

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Remove from oven and spread remaining cheese mixture on top.  Let stand 10 - 15 minutes, and serve with salsa and sour cream on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment